A Multimillion Rand Protection Racket
The high-stakes world of Mpumalanga’s construction and transport industries has been rocked by explosive allegations of a "protection fee" cartel that allegedly siphoned millions from a major infrastructure project. At the centre of the storm is Joe "Ferrari" Sibanyoni, a powerful taxi boss whose name carries immense weight in the region. Sibanyoni, along with business forum chairperson Mvimbi Masilela and socialite Bafana "King of the Sky" Sindane, stands accused of running a sophisticated extortion network that allegedly targeted mining contractor Tengane Ntuli. The allegations, contained in sworn statements seen by Sunday World, paint a chilling picture of a "cartel process" that extracted more than R2 million from Ntuli over several years.
The dispute is linked to a quarry supplying material for the R573 Moloto Road project, a multi-billion rand SANRAL initiative intended to improve safety on one of South Africa’s most dangerous roads. According to Ntuli, the "Ferrari Cartel" demanded a portion of every tonnage supplied, using threats of violence and business closure to enforce their demands. "He said they will go and close my company and chase me away from Kwaggafontein," Ntuli alleged in his affidavit, describing a meeting where he was confronted by Masilela and several other men. The pressure allegedly escalated until Ntuli was forced to pay hundreds of thousands of rands in "protection fees," some of which were allegedly transferred directly into Sibanyoni’s bank accounts.
The Courtroom Collapse: A Prosecutor Under Fire
The legal battle against Sibanyoni and his co-accused took a dramatic and unexpected turn on Monday at the magistrate’s court. In a scene that felt more like a movie script than a legal proceeding, the entire case collapsed after the prosecutor, Mkhuseli Ntaba, failed to appear in court for the critical bail proceedings. The absence of the state’s representative left Chief Magistrate Tule-tu Tonjeni with little choice but to strike the matter from the roll, effectively allowing the "Ferrari" and his associates to walk free. The move has sent shockwaves through the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), which has since suspended Ntaba pending disciplinary processes.
The magistrate’s decision was swift and severe, including the issuance of a warrant of arrest for the missing prosecutor. For the complainant, Tengane Ntuli, the collapse of the case is a devastating blow to his quest for justice. However, for Sibanyoni’s legal team, led by the high-profile Advocate Shaun Abrahams, the outcome is a total vindication. Abrahams told the media that the charges were "trumped-up" and that there had been a legitimate business relationship between his client and Ntuli for several years. The defence now intends to pursue a civil claim against the state, further complicating a case that has already become a major embarrassment for the justice system.
A War Of Credibility: The Complainant’s Dark Past
As the dust settles on the courtroom drama, a new battle is emerging—one centered on the credibility of the man who brought the charges. Sibanyoni’s camp has launched a counter-offensive, obtaining police profile reports that allegedly show Tengane Ntuli has been involved in at least 21 criminal complaints over the past two decades. These records reflect a pattern of fraud, extortion, intimidation, and business disputes, leading the defence to argue that Ntuli is a serial litigator who "runs to the cops whenever a business deal collapses." The pattern, they claim, points to a businessman who uses the legal system as a weapon in his commercial disputes.
"There is always a case when there is a fallout," a source close to Sibanyoni’s camp remarked, pointing to the sheer volume of complaints linked to Ntuli. The records include fraud complaints in Middelburg, an extortion case in Bronkhorstspruit, and intimidation cases in Mabopane. For the defence, this history destroys Ntuli’s standing as a victim and suggests that the R2.2 million in question may have been part of a legitimate business transaction rather than an extortion racket. Ntuli, however, remains steadfast in his claims, insisting that he has no business dealings with Sibanyoni and that the payments were "pure extortion."
The National Interest And The Moloto Road
Beyond the personal drama and legal maneuvering, the Sibanyoni case highlights a growing and dangerous trend in South Africa: the rise of construction "mafias" and business forums that target major infrastructure projects. The Moloto Road project is of critical national interest, and any disruption to its supply chain has far-reaching consequences for the safety and economic development of the region. Ntuli warned police that the "cartel process" of extortion was affecting the operations of the quarry and the road project itself, a claim that underscores the systemic threat posed by such networks.
The collapse of the case against Sibanyoni has raised serious questions about the ability of the state to prosecute high-profile extortion cases. When a prosecutor fails to show up for a case involving millions of rands and a powerful taxi boss, it undermines public confidence in the rule of law. The NPA’s silence on the merits of the case, citing the risk of prejudice, has done little to calm the storm of controversy. As the "Ferrari" returns to his business empire in Mpumalanga, the victims of alleged extortion are left wondering if justice in the construction industry is something that can be bought, bullied, or simply avoided through a series of "dramatic" courtroom failures.
The Unresolved Mystery Of The Missing Prosecutor
The most baffling element of the entire saga remains the disappearance of Prosecutor Mkhuseli Ntaba on the day of the trial. His absence was the primary reason the magistrate struck the case off the roll, yet the reasons for his failure to appear remain shrouded in mystery. Was it a simple case of negligence, or was there something more sinister at play? The NPA’s decision to suspend him and the magistrate’s warrant for his arrest suggest that his absence was a grave breach of duty. In the corridors of power in Mpumalanga, rumors are swirling about potential intimidation or even bribery, though no evidence has yet emerged to support these claims.
For now, the R2.2 million extortion drama remains an unresolved chapter in the history of Mpumalanga’s business wars. Joe "Ferrari" Sibanyoni has escaped the dock, but the cloud of suspicion remains. Tengane Ntuli continues to fight for his reputation, even as his own past is used against him. And the Moloto Road project continues, a silent witness to the "cartel process" that allegedly sought to profit from every ton of stone laid in its path. The story of the Ferrari Cartel is a stark reminder that in the world of high-stakes business and taxi politics, the line between a legitimate deal and a "protection fee" is often as thin as a prosecutor’s excuse.










