Home Sports Police Reveal New Breakthrough as Two Men Arrested In Zolani “Last Born”...

Police Reveal New Breakthrough as Two Men Arrested In Zolani “Last Born” Tete Murder Investigation

0

Two men have been arrested in connection with the murder of former world boxing champion Zolani “Last Born” Tete in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape.

The men, aged 30 and 22, were taken into custody in Ku Gompo on Saturday following what police described as a swift, intelligence-driven operation involving several law-enforcement units.

Tete, 38, was shot dead outside his home in NU17, Mdantsane, on Friday evening.

The two men are being treated as persons of interest while investigators question them about Tete’s murder and the attempted murder of a 27-year-old woman who was travelling with him during the attack.

Police have not disclosed whether the men have been formally charged, and no court appearance has been announced.

Eastern Cape police spokesperson Brigadier Nobuntu Gantana said the investigation remained sensitive and that police could not yet reveal the motive or the circumstances surrounding the arrests.

“Due to the sensitive nature of the ongoing investigation, the SAPS is unable to disclose further details regarding the motive or the circumstances surrounding the arrests at this time,” Gantana said.

“Investigators are following up on several leads, and more arrests are imminent.”

The latest development comes after police earlier rejected social-media reports claiming that arrests had already been made in connection with Tete’s killing.

Those reports were described as “false and unfounded” at the time.

Police have now confirmed that two men are in custody, but are warning the public not to draw conclusions about their alleged involvement before the investigation and any court process have taken place.

Two Persons Of Interest In Custody

The men were arrested in Ku Gompo on Saturday, one day after Tete was killed.

Police said the operation involved multiple law-enforcement units and was intelligence-driven, but did not identify all the teams involved.

The term “persons of interest” indicates that investigators want to question the men or examine their possible connection to the case. It does not mean that a court has found them responsible for the murder.

The men remain entitled to legal representation and a fair trial if they are charged.

They must also be presumed innocent unless a court finds them guilty.

Gantana said investigators were following several leads and that more arrests were expected.

However, police have not disclosed what evidence led them to the two men, whether they were arrested together or separately, or whether any firearm or vehicle has been recovered.

Those details may only be released once investigators are satisfied that doing so will not compromise the case.

Police Keep Motive Under Wraps

The motive for the attack remains unknown.

Gantana said the sensitive nature of the investigation prevented police from providing further details about why Tete may have been targeted or how the men came to be arrested.

The absence of a confirmed motive means that speculation about robbery, personal disputes, organised crime or any other possible explanation would be premature.

Police are expected to investigate the relationship, if any, between Tete and the arrested men, the movements of the vehicles involved and the events leading up to the shooting.

They may also examine cellphone records, surveillance footage, witness statements, forensic evidence and information from the hospital treating the injured woman.

The fact that the suspects allegedly wore balaclavas during the shooting does not, on its own, establish who they are or why the attack happened.

Investigators will need to build an evidence-based account before any final conclusions can be drawn.

What Happened At The Gate?

Police said Tete was sitting in his vehicle waiting for the gate at his home to open when two armed men allegedly emerged from another vehicle and opened fire.

The shooting happened at about 6.30pm on Friday in NU17, Mdantsane.

According to the police account, Tete attempted to escape the gunfire by driving into the yard.

“In an attempt to escape the hail of bullets, the deceased drove his vehicle into the yard. He unfortunately succumbed to his injuries and was declared deceased on the scene,” Gantana said.

The 27-year-old woman who was with Tete sustained multiple gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital.

Police said she remained in hospital in the latest update.

Her condition has not been disclosed in detail, and her privacy should be respected while she recovers and assists investigators.

Her account may be important in establishing what happened during the attack, although police have not said whether she has been formally interviewed.

Earlier False Arrest Reports

Before the latest confirmation, police warned that social-media reports claiming arrests had been made were untrue.

Gantana described the earlier reports as “false and unfounded” and urged the public and media not to spread unverified information.

The warning reflected the risks created by inaccurate information during a fast-moving murder investigation.

False claims can lead to innocent people being named, accused or harassed. They can also alert possible suspects to police activity or interfere with future court proceedings.

The latest arrest announcement is different because it comes directly from police.

Even so, the confirmation does not amount to proof that the two men committed the crime.

Only the investigation and any later court proceedings can establish the strength of the case against them.

Police Appeal For Information

Police are asking anyone with credible information about the shooting to come forward.

Information can be provided to Inyibiba SAPS or Crime Stop on 08600 10111.

Gantana said all information would be treated confidentially.

The appeal includes people who may have seen the vehicles involved, heard gunshots, noticed unusual activity in NU17 or have information about the movements of the suspects before or after the shooting.

People with information should contact the police rather than sharing it publicly or attempting to confront anyone they suspect may be involved.

Members of the public should also avoid posting names, photographs or claims that have not been confirmed through official channels.

Mdantsane Mourns Boxing Champion

Tete’s killing has left the boxing community and Mdantsane mourning the loss of a fighter who became one of South Africa’s most successful champions.

He won world titles in two weight divisions and was known internationally for his speed, power and disciplined approach in the ring.

Tete won the International Boxing Federation junior-bantamweight title in Kobe, Japan, in July 2014 after stopping Teiru Kinoshita.

He later captured the World Boxing Organisation bantamweight title and held it from 2017 until losing it to John Riel Casimero in Birmingham in November 2019.

His most famous performance came on 18 November 2017, when he stopped Siboniso Gonya in 11 seconds at the SSE Arena in Belfast.

The victory gave Tete the Guinness World Record for the fastest knockout in a world-title fight.

It remains one of the most memorable moments in South African boxing.

Career Comeback Cut Short

Tete had been preparing for a possible return to the ring.

He had not fought since July 2022, when he defeated Jason Cunningham at Wembley. The result was later changed to a no contest after Tete tested positive for the banned steroid stanozolol.

He received a four-year ban, which ended on 29 July 2026.

Tete maintained that he had never knowingly taken the substance.

He had reportedly planned to return to competition later this year, and his comeback preparations were part of the future he was working towards before his death.

That possibility has now been lost, leaving fans to reflect on what the former champion might still have achieved in the ring.

Tete had 34 professional fights, winning 29, including 22 by knockout. His record also included four defeats and one no contest.

He began boxing at the age of eight and was trained by former world champion Vuyani Bungu.

His path from Mdantsane to world championship success made him a source of pride for the community where he grew up.

Family Calls For Justice

The family of slain boxing champion Zolani “Last Born” Tete says it wants justice as tributes continue to pour in from across South Africa.

Tete’s older brother, Siyabulela Tete, said the family was devastated by the loss of the man they affectionately called “Master”.

“Master was a disciplined person. As the last-born in the family, he always made sure everyone around him was happy and in good spirits. We will sorely miss him because he was the anchor of our family,” he said.

The family had been looking forward to Tete’s return to professional boxing after his suspension interrupted his career.

“We were very happy that Zolani was coming back to boxing. We were anxious and worried during his suspension, but we were excited that he was getting another opportunity.”

Siyabulela said the family did not know what had led to the killing.

“We pray that justice is served for our brother because we do not know why someone would be so heartless and kill an innocent person like that,” he said.

Tete’s family and supporters are now waiting for answers about the killing.

Police have not released information about the circumstances surrounding the arrests or the evidence that investigators are examining.

The absence of detail is likely to be frustrating for people who want to understand what happened, but detectives may be withholding information to protect the investigation.

Further arrests may follow, according to Gantana.

That does not mean that the two men already in custody will necessarily be the only people investigated or charged.

Police will still need to establish each person’s alleged role, if any, and determine whether the evidence supports criminal charges.

The attempted-murder investigation involving the injured woman will continue alongside the murder inquiry.

Eastern Cape Premier Pays Tribute

Eastern Cape Premier Oscar Mabuyane described Tete’s killing as a devastating loss for the province and its sporting community.

“The province has lost one of its finest sporting sons,” Mabuyane said.

He said Tete had risen from the streets and boxing gyms of Mdantsane to become a world champion who carried the pride of the Eastern Cape and South Africa onto the global stage.

“His journey inspired countless young people because he demonstrated that a child growing up in our townships can dream beyond their immediate circumstances and ultimately stand among the best in the world.”

Mabuyane’s comments reflected the wider sense of loss surrounding Tete’s death. The boxer’s achievements had made him a role model for young people in Mdantsane and an important figure in South African sport.

The tributes have been accompanied by calls for the investigation to be completed without speculation and for those responsible to face justice if the evidence supports criminal charges.

Legal Process Still To Come

If the men are charged, they are expected to appear in court, where the allegations against them will be formally presented.

A first court appearance would not determine their guilt. It would usually deal with issues such as the charges, legal representation and possible bail arrangements.

The State would then be required to present its case through evidence.

Until that process takes place, the men should be described as suspects or persons of interest rather than perpetrators.

Police statements about the arrests should also be understood as part of an ongoing investigation rather than a final finding.

The motive, the identity of any additional suspects and the evidence linking the men to the shooting remain matters for investigators to establish.

Police Warn Against Speculation

Gantana cautioned the public and media against speculation and the spread of unverified information.

The warning is particularly important in a case involving a well-known public figure, where rumours can circulate quickly online.

Tete’s boxing career means that the case has attracted attention well beyond Mdantsane.

However, public interest should not come at the expense of accuracy, the injured woman’s privacy or the integrity of any future court proceedings.

People who share unconfirmed allegations may unintentionally harm the investigation or expose the families involved to further distress.

The safest approach is to rely on confirmed information and allow police to follow the available leads.

Investigation Continues

The two men remain in police custody while they are questioned.

Investigators are following several leads and police say more arrests are imminent.

The next significant development may be the men’s first court appearance, the announcement of formal charges or further information about the evidence recovered during the operation.

Police have not disclosed a possible court date.

For now, the confirmed facts are that Tete was shot dead in Mdantsane, a 27-year-old woman was wounded, two men aged 30 and 22 were arrested in Ku Gompo and the investigation remains active.

The people responsible have not been convicted, and the motive has not been established.

Anyone who can assist police is urged to contact Inyibiba SAPS or Crime Stop on 08600 10111.


Latest Gossip News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Latest Gossip News via email.