Home Sports Zolani ‘Last Born’ Tete Shot Dead At Mdantsane Home As Police Launch...

Zolani ‘Last Born’ Tete Shot Dead At Mdantsane Home As Police Launch Murder Investigation

0

South African boxing has been plunged into mourning after former two-division world champion Zolani “Last Born” Tete was shot and killed at his home in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape.

Tete was 38.

Police are investigating a case of murder and attempted murder after the shooting in NU17 at about 6.30pm on Friday.

According to Eastern Cape police spokeswoman Brigadier Nobuntu Gantana, Tete was arriving at his house when two armed men wearing balaclavas got out of a vehicle and opened fire on him and a 27-year-old woman travelling with him.

The woman was injured in the attack and police are investigating the attempted-murder charge alongside Tete’s killing.

No arrests had been confirmed at the time of the report.

The motive remains unknown, and investigators are appealing for information that could help identify the people responsible.

The death of Tete has prompted an outpouring of grief from the boxing community, residents of Mdantsane and public figures who remembered him as one of South Africa’s most accomplished fighters.

Police Investigate Mdantsane Shooting

Gantana said the shooting happened as Tete arrived at his home in NU17.

Two men allegedly emerged from a vehicle and opened fire. The suspects then fled, leaving Tete fatally wounded and the woman injured.

The details of the vehicle, the direction in which it travelled and the possible motive have not been disclosed.

Police are expected to examine the crime scene, gather witness statements and search for CCTV or other footage that may have captured the attack.

Forensic investigators may also examine the vehicle, cartridge cases and other evidence recovered from the scene.

The 27-year-old woman who was with Tete is an important witness in the case, although police have not released details about her condition or relationship with the boxer.

The public is urged not to circulate unverified images, names or claims about the shooting. Such information can interfere with an investigation and cause further distress to the victim’s family.

Anyone with information should report it to the police through official channels rather than confronting people they suspect may be involved.

Minister Pays Tribute

Sports, Arts and Culture Minister Gayton McKenzie expressed his condolences to Tete’s family and the people of Mdantsane.

McKenzie said his department would support the family in the days ahead and would work with Boxing South Africa on an appropriate way to honour the late champion.

“I want to speak first to his family and to the people of Mdantsane. There are no words I can offer tonight that will be equal to what you have lost. Your son's name will not be treated lightly by this country, and my Department and I are at your disposal in the days ahead, in whatever way is useful to you,” said McKenzie.

The minister said he would not speculate about the motive or circumstances of the shooting.

He said the investigation belonged to the South African Police Service and that detectives needed the support of the community.

“Two armed men in balaclavas got out of a car in Mdantsane and killed one of our greatest world champion at his own front gate, and they are still out there tonight. I appeal to anyone who saw anything, who knows anything, who heard anything, to come forward. Somebody in that community knows who did this.”

McKenzie’s appeal came as police continued searching for the suspects.

He also asked the media and members of the public not to share images or unverified details about the case.

Tete Was Preparing For A Return

At the time of his death, Tete was preparing for a return to the ring.

McKenzie said the boxer believed he still had more to contribute to South African sport.

“He was training for a return to the ring. He believed he still had something to give this country. He was right, but he will not get the chance now. He, and all of us, have been robbed,” said McKenzie.

The planned return added another painful dimension to the loss for fans who had hoped to see the champion compete again.

Tete’s career had already secured his place in South African boxing history. He competed at the highest level, won world titles in two weight divisions and produced one of the fastest finishes in championship boxing.

His influence extended beyond his wins. For many young fighters, his career showed that a boxer from Mdantsane could rise to the world stage and return home as a champion.

A Two-Division World Champion

Tete won the IBF junior-bantamweight title in Japan in 2014, a victory that established him as one of South Africa’s leading international fighters.

He later captured the WBO bantamweight title and defended it against some of the strongest opponents of his generation.

His world-title fights took him to major boxing stages in places including Belfast and Yekaterinburg.

Tete became particularly well known for his 11-second stoppage of Siboniso Gonya in 2017.

The result made boxing history as the fastest knockout in a world-title fight, a record that still stands.

The win was brief but unforgettable. Tete came out with speed and precision, ending the contest before his opponent had time to settle into the fight.

It became one of the defining moments of his career and a performance that fans continued to remember years later.

Tete’s official boxing record was listed as 28 wins, three losses and 21 victories by knockout. His alias, “Last Born”, became closely associated with his style, determination and public identity.

Mdantsane Mourns

Tete’s death has struck particularly hard in Mdantsane, where he began his journey and built the foundation of his boxing career.

The township has produced many talented athletes, but few reached the level of international success achieved by Tete.

His world titles gave local residents a fighter to celebrate and a figure who represented their community on a global stage.

The circumstances of his killing have now brought grief and fear to the area.

Residents may have information about the vehicle, the suspects’ movements or the moments before and after the shooting. Police are urging anyone with useful information to come forward.

The appeal is especially important because the suspects remain at large.

People who witnessed the shooting or noticed unusual activity in NU17 are encouraged to contact the police. Information can also be supplied anonymously through recognised crime-reporting channels.

Investigation Includes Attempted Murder Charge

The attempted-murder charge relates to the 27-year-old woman who was in the car with Tete.

Police have not provided further details about the extent of her injuries or whether she has been discharged from hospital.

Her account could assist detectives in establishing what happened and whether the suspects knew Tete or were targeting the vehicle.

Investigators will also need to determine whether Tete was followed before arriving at his home and whether the attack was planned.

At this stage, there is no confirmed motive.

The fact that the suspects allegedly wore balaclavas and fled in a vehicle may form part of the evidence, but it does not by itself explain why Tete was targeted.

Any theory about robbery, personal disputes, business dealings or another motive would be speculation until supported by police evidence.

No Arrests Confirmed

No arrests had been announced in connection with the shooting at the time of the report.

The police investigation is expected to continue through witness interviews, forensic examinations and the tracing of the vehicle allegedly used in the attack.

Once suspects are identified and arrested, they will be entitled to legal representation and a fair trial.

They would also remain presumed innocent until a court finds them guilty.

The family, fans and boxing officials will now wait for further information about the investigation and for arrangements to honour Tete’s life and career.

McKenzie said Boxing South Africa and his department would consult the family before deciding how the sport should commemorate the champion.

That approach is intended to ensure that any tribute reflects the wishes of Tete’s loved ones rather than being arranged without their involvement.

A Legacy Beyond The Ring

Tete’s legacy is built on more than the titles he won.

He represented South Africa during a period when the country’s boxers continued to make their mark on the international stage.

His victory in Japan, his WBO title run and his historic 11-second knockout gave fans across the country memorable moments.

He also showed the discipline required to compete at world level. Boxing demands years of training, sacrifice and resilience, and Tete’s career reflected those qualities.

His return to training suggested that he remained ambitious and believed he still had more to offer.

That ambition has now been cut short.

For Mdantsane, the loss is deeply personal. Tete was not only a former champion but also a local son whose success was celebrated by people who knew where he came from.

For South African boxing, his death leaves a significant void.

The public is being asked to remember the champion while allowing police to establish the facts of his killing.

The family has also asked that people avoid circulating unverified content and respect their privacy as they grieve.

Police Appeal

Anyone who saw the shooting, noticed the suspects’ vehicle or has information that could help identify those responsible is urged to contact the police.

Information should be shared with detectives through official channels.

Members of the public should not attempt to confront suspects or take the law into their own hands.

The investigation into the murder and attempted murder continues.

 


Latest Gossip News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Latest Gossip News via email.