Police are investigating a double murder after two men were shot dead in N2 Gateway, Delft, on Sunday night.
The victims, aged 30 and 32, were gunned down in Atakora Street shortly before 9pm on Sunday, 16 August 2026.
Delft police have registered two counts of murder, but no arrests have been made.
Provincial police spokesperson Sergeant Wesley Twigg said officers were called to the scene after the shooting and found both men with gunshot wounds to their bodies.
Twigg reported: “Delft police registered two counts of murder for investigation following a shooting incident on Sunday evening, 16 August 2026, at about 8.50pm, in Atakora Street, N2 Gateway, where two males aged 30 and 32 were shot and fatally wounded.
“Police members attended the crime scene where they found the victims with gunshot wounds to their bodies. Both victims were declared deceased on the scene by medical personnel.
“The circumstances surrounding the incident are under investigation and no arrests have been made.”
The motive for the shooting has not yet been confirmed.
The double murder is the latest in a series of violent incidents that have placed Delft residents on edge, with community leaders warning that shootings appear to be spreading across different parts of the area.
Ward councillor Michelle Adonis said she was aware of the incident but could not confirm the exact circumstances surrounding the shooting.
Adonis said: “The shootings are like a plague that starts in one area and then spills over into another area in Delft. I would suppose that the whole of Delft is volatile because we hear reports of shootings coming from different areas in Delft.
“A few weeks ago we had the Premier in the community of Delft and there was a request to the national government to get more powers on the ground to assist Metro Police and SAPS.”
Her comments reflect growing concern among residents and local representatives about the level of gun violence in Delft and the pressure being placed on policing resources.
Atakora Street in N2 Gateway became the focus of a murder investigation on Sunday night after emergency services and police responded to the scene. Medical personnel declared both victims dead where they were found.
Police have not yet indicated whether the men were targeted, whether the shooting was linked to gang activity, or whether more than one gunman was involved.
The victims’ names have not yet been released.
The killings come amid repeated calls for stronger policing in Delft, where residents have frequently raised concerns about shootings, gang activity and the availability of illegal firearms.
Adonis said requests had already been made for more support on the ground, including assistance for Metro Police and SAPS.
The call for additional policing powers and resources follows a recent visit by the Premier to the Delft community, where residents and local leaders reportedly raised safety concerns.
Delft has long been identified as one of the Cape Flats communities battling high levels of violent crime, including shootings in residential streets and public spaces. In many cases, residents say the violence shifts from one section to another, leaving families unsure where the next shooting may happen.
Sunday night’s double murder has added to those fears, particularly because the shooting happened in a residential area shortly before 9pm, a time when many people are still awake or moving around.
For investigators, the immediate task will be to establish what led to the attack, identify possible witnesses and track down those responsible.
Police will also have to determine whether the murders are connected to any ongoing disputes in the area or whether the two men were specifically targeted.
No arrests had been made by the time police confirmed the incident.
The case remains under investigation by Delft police.
Police are appealing to anyone with information about the shooting to contact Crime Stop on 08600 10111 or use the MySAPS mobile application anonymously.
Residents with information that could help identify the gunmen are urged to come forward, as police continue probing the circumstances behind the killing of the two men in Atakora Street.









