Home Celeb Gossip Mel Viljoen Breaks Down As Peet Viljoen Is Denied Bail In R27.6...

Mel Viljoen Breaks Down As Peet Viljoen Is Denied Bail In R27.6 Million Fraud Case

0

Mel Viljoen burst into tears and stormed out of court after her husband, disbarred lawyer Peet Viljoen, was denied bail in a major fraud case involving an alleged R27.6 million Johannesburg Property Company scheme.

The Pretoria Specialised Commercial Crime Court ruled that Peet would remain behind bars while he faces about 400 charges linked to the alleged property fraud. He was ordered to return to the Kgosi Mampuru II Correctional Centre, where he will remain until his next appearance on 4 September.

The dramatic judgment was delivered by Magistrate Nicca Setshogoe on Monday morning. The courtroom was far emptier than during the couple’s previous appearances, but the tension was clear as Peet sat in the dock and waited for the outcome of his bail application.

Mel, who became widely known through her appearance on The Real Housewives of Pretoria and her connection to the Tammy Taylor nail brand, appeared deeply distressed when the magistrate read the decision. She was seen crying before leaving the courtroom soon after the proceedings were adjourned.

The reality television personality had previously been outspoken about the case. On this occasion, however, she kept to herself during the court session. She handed Peet a bottle of water while he sat nervously in the dock, reportedly fiddling with his lip ice as he listened to the court’s decision.

Court Raises Flight Risk Concerns

Setshogoe said the state had presented enough information for the court to regard Peet as a flight risk. The magistrate also raised concerns about alleged threats, possible interference with state witnesses and the risk of interference with the investigation.

The court heard that Peet had no stable home in South Africa and did not have a fixed address. His claimed residential address in Brits, North West, had been presented as verified, but evidence before the court showed that this was not the case.

The magistrate also considered social media posts allegedly made by Peet while he was in the United States. In those posts, he reportedly said he would never return to South Africa. The prosecution relied on those statements in arguing that he could leave the country again if released on bail.

Peet was arrested at OR Tambo International Airport on 16 June after being deported from the United States. His return to South Africa was followed by his appearance in court and his continued detention at Kgosi Mampuru II Correctional Centre.

The charges against him relate to an alleged scheme involving the Johannesburg Property Company and the alleged fraudulent sale of 46 properties in 2010. The case includes allegations of fraud, theft, corruption, forgery and uttering.

The large number of charges and the value attached to the alleged scheme were central to the court proceedings. Peet has not been convicted, and the allegations against him still have to be tested in court.

Defence Challenges Bail Decision

Peet’s defence immediately challenged the outcome of the bail application. His lawyers argued that the state had been given enough time to investigate the allegations, pointing to the fact that the charges had been under investigation for about 16 years.

The defence had argued that Peet was not a flight risk because he returned to South Africa knowing that he could be arrested. A bail proposal of R200 000 was reportedly placed before the court, together with a plan for him to remain under house arrest at his sister’s home in Pretoria and report to police every day.

The state opposed the application and argued that releasing Peet would not be in the interests of justice. It also raised concerns about his lack of a fixed address, his alleged social media statements and claims that he had intimidated state witnesses and the investigating officer.

The court further referred to three Tammy Taylor-related cases that had been investigated by the Hawks and handed to the National Prosecuting Authority for reconsideration for the court roll. Setshogoe also referred to Peet’s inability to prove his reported medical condition during the bail proceedings.

NPA spokesperson Lumka Mahanjana said the state welcomed the court’s decision.

“As the state, we initially opposed his release on bail because we indicated to the court that he was a flight risk because he doesn’t have any fixed address in South Africa, as he has just been deported to South Africa, and the magistrate agreed with us,” said Mahanjana.

“The magistrate said his release on bail might undermine public confidence.”

Florida Arrest Added To Legal Troubles

The bail ruling comes after a separate legal case in the United States involving Peet and Mel. The couple was arrested in Boca Raton, Florida, in March 2026 after investigators accused them of taking groceries from a Publix supermarket over a period of about six months.

The Florida case centres on an alleged ticket-switching scheme between August 2025 and March 2026. Investigators said the couple allegedly used self-checkout tills to scan cheaper products while taking more expensive items, or failed to pay for some goods altogether.

Police documents stated that 52 transactions were examined and that hundreds of items were allegedly not scanned. The reported loss was more than $5 300. The goods allegedly taken included sparkling water, wine, soft drinks, toilet paper, fresh produce and other groceries.

Investigators also alleged that Peet distracted employees while Mel carried out some of the transactions. Both were charged with aggravated grand retail theft in Florida. The couple were later separated from the United States legal process, with Peet eventually deported to South Africa.

The international case has added another serious chapter to the couple’s public troubles. In South Africa, however, Peet’s immediate battle remains the fraud case and the question of how long he will stay in custody before the matter moves forward.

For now, the court has made it clear that he will not be returning home while the next stage of the proceedings is being prepared. Peet is expected back in the Pretoria Specialised Commercial Crime Court on 4 September, where the case will continue under the weight of hundreds of charges and the court’s concerns about his possible flight risk.


Latest Gossip News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Latest Gossip News via email.