Home General News Gunman Dead After Fierce Night-Long Battle With Western Cape Police – Two...

Gunman Dead After Fierce Night-Long Battle With Western Cape Police – Two Women Rescued

0

A tense night on a farm in De Hoop, Robertson, ended in gunfire, bloodshed and a dead gunman after Western Cape police were dragged into a long standoff that stretched from Sunday evening into Monday night.

What began as a complaint about a man shooting at a neighbour’s car quickly turned into a dangerous armed showdown. Police officers who rushed to the scene first came under fire themselves, forcing them to call for backup as the situation turned from a local disturbance into a major police operation.

By the time the shooting stopped, one police officer had been injured, two women had been rescued from a neighbouring house, several police vehicles had been damaged, and the 40-year-old gunman lay dead at the scene.

Police spokesperson Brigadier Novela Potelwa said the incident grew into a serious gun battle that continued well into Monday evening.

“The operational response was escalated with the special task force (STF) also deployed on Monday afternoon. A heavy gun battle ensued as the gunman shot at STF members, damaging a police armoured vehicle (Nyala). Two women who were in a neighbouring house were subsequently rescued, with STF members [tactically] gaining entry to the house where the 40-year-old gunman was. He was shot in the shootout and died on the scene,” said Potelwa.

The drama began on Sunday evening when Robertson police received a complaint that a man was firing shots at a neighbour’s car on a farm in De Hoop. Officers went out to respond, but the suspect did not surrender. Instead, he opened fire on the police.

That first burst of violence changed the entire situation. The officers on the scene were forced to pull back and call for support. The tactical response team was then sent in, but they too were met with gunfire from the same man.

The standoff did not ease. It dragged on into the next day, with police trying to control a man who was armed, dangerous and refusing to give up. As the hours passed, the response was built up further, and the special task force was brought in on Monday afternoon.

The pressure on police units was heavy. During the gunfight, one officer was hit in the shoulder and had to be taken to hospital for medical treatment. Police also confirmed that a number of vehicles were damaged during the exchange of fire.

Among the damaged vehicles was a police armoured vehicle, known as a Nyala, which was hit during the confrontation. The scene showed just how fierce the fight had become as officers tried to bring the incident to an end without allowing further loss of life.

As the standoff unfolded, two women who were inside a nearby house became trapped near the danger zone. Police later managed to rescue them. Their safe removal became one of the most urgent parts of the operation, as officers worked carefully around an armed suspect who was still firing shots.

The final move came when STF members gained entry to the house where the suspect was located. There, the 40-year-old man was shot during the clash and died at the scene.

Police have since opened an inquest docket to investigate the incident. Officials from the Independent Police Investigative Directorate were also called to the scene, as is standard when police shootings are involved.

A major collection of weapons and items was seized after the operation. Police recovered an assault rifle, a shotgun, two pistols, magazines, different types of ammunition, flags and notebooks with inscriptions.

The full scale of the seizure points to a heavily armed suspect who was prepared for violence and equipped with several weapons. The recovery of the firearms and other items is now part of the investigation.

Acting national police commissioner Lieutenant-General Puleng Dimpane praised the police members who took part in the long and dangerous operation.

Dimpane commended the “swift and courageous intervention by SAPS members” during the prolonged standoff.

She singled out the Robertson police officers who were first on the scene and came under fire, as well as the Tactical Response Team officers who were called in to reinforce them.

“Our members demonstrated courage, discipline and tactical restraint in confronting an armed individual who posed a direct and serious threat to police officers and innocent members of the community. I commend the station members who responded first, the TRT members who reinforced them, and particularly the Special Task Force for the professional manner in which they brought this dangerous situation to an end and protected civilian lives,” she said.

“We will continue to confront threats to public safety with determination. Criminals who turn firearms against police officers and innocent people must know that the SAPS will respond with the full capability of the service. We will protect our members, our communities and we will not retreat in the face of violence,” she added.

The police operation in Robertson once again showed how quickly a local complaint can turn into a deadly armed confrontation when a suspect chooses to fire on officers instead of surrendering. It also left behind a damaged scene, an injured policeman, two rescued women and a dead gunman at the end of a violent night on the farm.

The investigation is now in motion, and the farm in De Hoop will be remembered for a standoff that ended only after police brought in their strongest units to stop a man who kept firing until the very end.


Latest Gossip News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Latest Gossip News via email.