The son of late former Zimbabwean president Robert Mugabe, Bellarmine (also spelled Bellermine) Mugabe, has been arrested after a shooting at a Hyde Park residence in Johannesburg that left a 23-year-old employee critically wounded.
The incident unfolded on Thursday at a luxury property in Hyde Park, an upmarket suburb that is home to several high-profile politicians and businesspeople, including President Cyril Ramaphosa and EFF leader Julius Malema.
Police say the victim, initially described as a gardener but understood by some sources to be a security guard employed by the family, sustained two gunshot wounds to the back and is in a critical condition.
Stand-off and arrest
Police from multiple units, including members of the diplomatic unit, descended on the property after being alerted by a security guard on patrol in the area.
Gauteng police spokesperson Dimakatso Nevhuhulwi said two men, aged 28 and 33, were taken in for questioning and subsequently arrested.
“They are expected to appear in the Alexandra court soon on charges of attempted murder. Police investigations are continuing,” she said.
Bellarmine Mugabe, 29, was seen handcuffed inside the property before being taken to Bramley police station for questioning, along with a 24-year-old man.
Insiders told News24 that Mugabe had initially locked himself inside a room and refused to come out, forcing officers to negotiate with him and his friend for two to three hours before he eventually surrendered.
Witnesses: ‘He was pleading for his life’
Two neighbours told News24 that it was not unusual to hear gunshots coming from the Mugabe residence.
It is alleged that Mugabe chased and shot the employee as he tried to flee, before the victim collapsed near a neighbour’s house.
One neighbour said he heard two gunshots coming from inside the house. Moments later, he saw the wounded man running out of the residence, with Mugabe allegedly chasing after him with a firearm.
“The victim was on the street, lying on the grass, pleading for his life,” the neighbour said.
He added that the gunman appeared to notice him watching while he was on the phone.
According to the neighbour, Mugabe then pleaded with the employee to come back into the house to talk, but the man refused, reportedly fearing for his life.
Mugabe then allegedly walked back into the house, still carrying the gun, and neighbours called for help.
Another witness said he was walking along the street when he heard three gunshots.
“I saw Mugabe running into his home carrying a gun. The victim was lying on the street, wounded. He was immediately rushed to the hospital,” the witness said.
Search for the missing firearm
Gauteng police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Mavela Masondo confirmed that an attempted murder investigation had been opened.
He said officers from several specialised units were on the scene conducting preliminary investigations, aided by K9 (dog) units searching for the firearm believed to have been used.
“The circumstances of the shooting at this moment are still a bit sketchy. As you can see, we do have our police units that are here that are doing their preliminary investigations. We also have our dog unit that is currently searching in the house, searching for the firearm that is alleged to have been used to shoot the particular employee,” Nevhuhulwi said.
Police have so far recovered a single cartridge, which will form part of the forensic investigation. Officers suspect there may be additional weapons on the property and are waiting for SAPS divers to search the swimming pool for the missing gun.
BMW with SAPS sirens seized
On Thursday evening, Gauteng head of detectives Major General Mbuso Khumalo and his team returned to the property to continue searching for the firearm and other evidence.
During the operation, they intercepted and seized a black BMW sedan fitted with what appeared to be South African Police Service sirens as it attempted to leave the property.
Sources close to the investigation said officers stopped the car at the gate and found three occupants inside:
- Two men, who identified themselves as bodyguards for the Mugabe family
- A woman, who said she was a domestic worker at the residence
The vehicle was confiscated as part of the ongoing investigation.
Victim’s role disputed, probe continues
While police have publicly referred to the victim as a gardener, Eyewitness News (EWN) understands the 23-year-old is actually a security guard working for the family.
Authorities say the exact circumstances of the shooting remain under investigation.
“At the moment, we don’t have the firearm, but our dog unit, like I indicated, we do have our dog unit inside, they are searching through. But we did manage to find a cartridge and that cartridge will be taken through to form part of the investigation,” Nevhuhulwi said.
Mugabe and his co-accused are expected to appear in Alexandra Magistrates’ Court on attempted murder charges. Police investigations are ongoing.

Follow Us on Twitter










