The controversial transfer of high-profile attempted murder suspect Vusimuzi “Cat” Matlala from a Pretoria correctional facility to the country’s most secure prison in KwaZulu-Natal has ignited a firestorm of speculation, with sources citing fears of corruption, local favouritism, and even a plot to poison the tenderpreneur.
Matlala, who faces a staggering 25 charges, including 11 counts of attempted murder, was moved from the C-Max section of Kgosi Mampuru II prison in Pretoria to the super maximum eBongweni facility in Kokstad on December 21. The Department of Correctional Services (DCS) only announced the transfer on Tuesday, stating it was ordered as part of a routine “security assessment.”
Allegations of Corruption and Undue Influence
While the official line from the DCS is that the move was purely for security reasons, internal sources suggest the transfer was prompted by alarming concerns over Matlala’s close ties to senior prison management in Pretoria.
One source within the department revealed that a high-ranking correctional services official is now under investigation due to alleged links with the suspect. "It was found that there seems to be links between the top official and Matlala," the source told the Sunday Times. The source added that when Matlala was found with a cellphone last year, "it seems he could have received it from a senior official."
The unlimited visiting rights afforded to remand inmates, such as Matlala, were also cited as a problem. The source noted that Matlala had been "receiving too many visits at the [Pretoria] prison," which contributed to the decision to move him to a more controlled environment.
Furthermore, the geographical origin of the prison staff at Kgosi Mampuru II was flagged as a security risk. Another departmental source pointed out that many of the guards working at C-Max are from Mamelodi, which is Matlala’s home turf. "Many of the officials working at C-Max are from Mamelodi and that makes [Matlala] a security risk because he can easily get favours," the source explained, suggesting the department had lost trust in its own employed officials.
Fears of a Poison Plot and Isolation
Beyond the concerns of corruption, other departmental insiders revealed that the transfer was critical for Matlala’s own survival, citing the possibility of attempts on his life. "There was intel received that Matlala’s life was at risk, and that is why he had to be transferred," one source confirmed.
These fears were apparently shared by Matlala himself, who is said to have been terrified of someone trying to put poison in his food while in jail. A warder at Kgosi Mampuru II prison provided a shocking account of the suspect’s daily routine. "Every day when his food is brought to him, he would ask the warder to take the first few bites before he eats it to assess if it’s poisoned," the prison warder told the Sunday Times. The warder added that if an official refused to taste the food, Matlala would not eat it.
To ensure his safety, a department insider confirmed that Matlala is currently being held in eBongweni’s hospital wing, completely isolated from other inmates. "He is kept in the hospital section and only EST [emergency services team members] and managers attend to him," the insider said. "We are unsure of the exact threat, but we were informed that one exists. He is not injured. It is safe, and it’s for him not to be involved with other inmates for security reasons."
The Official Response and the New Facility
Despite the multiple accounts from various sources, Correctional Services spokesperson Singabakho Nxumalo firmly dismissed the allegations of corruption and threats to Matlala’s life. "The allegations being suggested are without merit and have no factual basis," he stated.
However, Nxumalo did confirm that the department would not discuss the specific security reasons behind the decision, only that such transfers enable the department to "respond appropriately to security assessments and operational demands." He stressed that "The safety and security of detainees, officials and the broader correctional environment remain paramount. Where enhanced security measures are required, these considerations take precedence."
The new facility, eBongweni, is considered South Africa’s most secure prison. Willem Els, a security specialist at the Institute for Security Studies, explained why the move makes sense from a safety perspective. "It is more secure, and it has single cells," Els said. He noted that inmates at eBongweni have only "one hour a day for exercise, without contact with other prisoners." Els concluded that, compared to other full prisons, eBongweni is "more controlled," and "For safety purposes, it makes more sense to move him there."
High-Stakes Court Appearance Looms
Matlala’s legal troubles are extensive. He, his wife Tsakane, and co-accused Musa Kekana, Tiego Floyd Mabusela, and Zandile Nthabiseng Nzama face a total of 25 charges. These charges stem from three separate shooting incidents that occurred between August 2022 and January 2024. One of the high-profile victims Matlala is accused of trying to kill is his former girlfriend, actress Tebogo Thobejane.
The tenderpreneur is scheduled to appear in the Johannesburg high court on January 29. Security specialist Els highlighted the immense risk and value Matlala represents ahead of his court date. Els believes Matlala could implicate many high-profile figures. "We don’t know what could come out in this case," Els warned. "He is highly valuable and could implicate a lot of people and cause havoc with the information he has on him once he goes to court and testifies. It could affect a lot of people."
The dramatic, high-security transfer underscores the gravity of the charges Matlala faces and the potential political and criminal fallout his testimony could unleash. The move to eBongweni ensures that the state can keep its high-value asset safe until his day in court.

Follow Us on Twitter








