South Africa’s top police official, National Commissioner Fannie Masemola, stood in the dock of the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday, marking a dark new chapter in the history of the South African Police Service (SAPS). Masemola, the man tasked with leading the nation’s fight against crime, now finds himself fighting for his own professional survival as he faces criminal charges linked to a controversial R360 million police tender.
The charges against the General involve four counts of contravening the Public Finance Management Act (PFMA). The case centres on a lucrative contract awarded in June 2024 to Medicare 24 Tshwane District, a company owned by the notorious "tenderpreneur" Vusimusi “Cat” Matlala. Prosecutors allege that Masemola failed in his fiduciary duties by ignoring at least two formal warnings of potential fraud related to the deal—warnings that were issued while millions of rands were already being siphoned out of the police budget.
The court appearance was a somber moment for a service already reeling from internal instability. While Masemola was not arrested but rather summoned to appear, prosecutor Santhos Manilall emphasised that the State’s investigation is at an advanced stage. The State intends to join Masemola as a co-accused in a broader, more complex corruption case involving Matlala and 15 others, a move that would see the National Commissioner sharing a dock with the very individuals he is supposed to be investigating.
The link to Matlala is particularly explosive. An investigation by News24, titled 9 Lives, revealed that Matlala’s companies had been flagged for suspicious payouts from Tembisa Hospital by whistle-blower Babita Deokaran shortly before her brutal assassination in 2021. Despite this toxic history, Matlala managed to secure the R360 million SAPS tender just years later. Although Masemola eventually cancelled the contract, the State argues he did so only after the Investigating Directorate Against Corruption (IDAC) began circling, and after R50 million had already been paid out.
Emerging from the court, a defiant Masemola addressed a media scrum, maintaining his innocence with a firm tone. “Let them bring proof. I know that I’m not guilty,” he said, appearing unphased by the gravity of the allegations. He seemed particularly aggrieved by the prospect of being joined with Matlala in the broader fraud case. “I have not done corruption. I am charged under the PFMA, so I don’t understand why I should join him,” he added.
Despite the mounting pressure, Masemola has made it clear he has no intention of stepping down. He declined to disclose the details of any conversations he may have had with President Cyril Ramaphosa regarding his future. “I don’t want to discuss discussions with the president in public,” he said, insisting that the police service must "stay focused and serve the people of South Africa."
However, the political and civil society reaction has been swift and unforgiving. Fadiel Adams, leader of the National Coloured Congress, was among those at court calling for Masemola’s immediate suspension. Adams argued that the country cannot afford to have “an alleged criminal” at the helm of its primary law enforcement agency, accusing the General of overseeing a culture of nepotism and cronyism.
Dennis Bloem of the Activists and Citizens Forum echoed these sentiments, describing the court appearance as a victory for the rule of law. “It shows that no one is above the law and that anyone who contravenes the laws of this country will appear before a court of law,” Bloem said.
The most damning assessment came from Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on Police. Chair Ian Cameron noted that Masemola’s legal troubles are part of a deeply concerning pattern. “General Fannie Masemola now joins a long list of national commissioners who have faced criminal investigations. Each case must follow due process, but this pattern cannot be ignored,” Cameron said. He referred to a legacy of shamed police chiefs, including the likes of Jackie Selebi, Bheki Cele, and Khehla Sitole, all of whom left office under a cloud of controversy or criminal suspicion.
Cameron has called for Masemola to be placed on "precautionary suspension" to protect the integrity of the office. “This is not about guilt; it is about protecting the office and ensuring SAPS can continue to function without disruption,” he explained. He warned that the current leadership vacuum and instability at the top of the police service are failing the South African public.
Inside the courtroom, the legal machinery continues to grind. Prosecutor Manilall noted that financial evidence, including bank statements, is still being finalised. The matter has been postponed to 13 May to allow the State to amend the charge sheet and formally consolidate the cases.
National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago was quick to dismiss any suggestions that the case is politically motivated. “We work with the evidence and the law,” he said. “This is not a targeted arrest.” Kganyago also warned that PFMA violations, often dismissed as mere administrative errors, can carry heavy criminal consequences if the conduct is found to be sufficiently severe.
As the case moves toward its next court date in May, the question remains whether Masemola can survive the political firestorm. For a nation weary of corruption and rising crime, the sight of its National Commissioner in the dock is a stark reminder of the rot that continues to plague the very institutions meant to protect the Republic. For now, the General remains in his post, but the shadow of the R360 million "Cat" Matlala tender looms larger than ever.










