ACTOR Wright Ngubeni has been slapped with a diversion programme by the Randburg Magistrates Court.
The former Rhythm City star was recently nabbed for dealing in dagga. According to court papers, the star was found in possession of dagga worth approximately R50 000.
A diversion programme refers to some form of corrective sentence, in which the criminal offender joins a rehabilitation programme. There, the suspect is meant to remedy the behaviour that led to their initial arrest to avoid a conviction and criminal record.
Insiders this week said the 30-year-old – famous for his role as Jonathan in the now defunct prime-time SABC1 soapie, Generations – was due to report to the same court on Friday. Upon appearance, Wright was to reveal to the state his rehabilitation progress, based on the programme. This follows his admission of guilt to the charge early last month.
When contacted for comment, the Love Back presenter requested the SunTeam to call him again later.
Said Wright: “Please, call me in 15 minutes’ time, I’m currently in a hectic business meeting.”
According to a source close to the case, Wright took responsibility. This prompted the court to send him to the programme.
Said the insider: “He was sent to diversion because he’s a first-time offender and showed remorse.”
NPA spokesperson Phindi LouwMjonondwane told the SunTeam she was waiting for a response from the Randburg Magistrates Court officials.
– Sunday Sun.