The e-hailing driver whose killing shocked the country after a dashcam video of his murder went viral had taken what was meant to be his last trip of the day when he was attacked by his passengers.
Isaac Satlat, 22, accepted the trip because it was a short distance from where he lived, his family said. He never made it home.
Family spokesperson Solomon Izang Ashoms said Satlat called home on Wednesday to say he was taking one last ride and would be back shortly.
“On the day he called and told us that he was doing his last trip and would be home in no time. After some time, we got worried and started to call him but got no answer,” Ashoms said.
The pickup point for his three passengers – two men and a woman – was in Atteridgeville, while Satlat lived in Pretoria CBD. He normally worked between Pretoria and Centurion.
His body and the car he was driving were later found in Mshongoville, in Pretoria West, where the three alleged attackers had left him.
Dashcam shows final moments
The car Satlat was driving belonged to Wiseman Makube, his supervisor at the company where he was doing an automotive mechanical engineering internship. Makube had lent him the car so he could earn extra money as an e-hailing driver.
A dashcam video from inside the vehicle, which surfaced late last week, shows the chilling final moments of the attack.
In the footage, a woman in the front passenger seat can be seen searching him, while a man seated behind Satlat grabs him by the neck and strangles him as he struggles to break free. At one point, the woman holds his legs down.
The assault continues until Satlat’s body goes limp. The male attacker then drags him into the back seat.
Minutes later, a third suspect appears, jumps into the driver’s seat and drives the car away.
Shortly after the video spread on social media, Transport Minister Barbara Creecy’s office issued a statement condemning the attack.
‘He was looking forward to graduation’
Ashoms said Satlat was nearing the end of his internship in Centurion and was due to finish in early March.
“He was looking ahead to his graduation… at the same time, he was also looking ahead to turning 23 on March 12,” he said.
The news of his death hit the family hard. Ashoms said Satlat’s father had to be hospitalised for high blood pressure after being told what had happened to his son.
He described Satlat as a sweet and kind young man with an unwavering passion for engineering, fashion and God.
“Isaac’s warmth, generosity and the love he shared touched the lives of all who knew him. He will be deeply missed, leaving behind cherished memories that forever hold a special place in our hearts,” Ashoms said.
The family has expressed deep gratitude for the outpouring of love, support and condolences they have received.
“Your words, gestures and presence have provided us with comfort during this unimaginably difficult time,” Ashoms added.
Plans are under way to repatriate Satlat’s body to Nigeria, and a BackaBuddy fundraising campaign has been launched to help support his family financially.
One suspect arrested, more to follow
Police spokesperson Col Mavela Masondo confirmed that the female suspect seen in the video has been arrested.
She is expected to appear in the Atteridgeville magistrate’s court today on charges including hijacking and murder.
“More arrests are imminent as the police investigation is continuing,” Masondo said.

Follow Us on Twitter









