Home General News Bodies in the Streets, Fear in the Hearts: Cape Town Communities Too...

Bodies in the Streets, Fear in the Hearts: Cape Town Communities Too Scared to Speak as Three Men Found Dead

0

Fear of retaliation and a lack of faith in the justice system are leaving some Cape communities reluctant to speak up, as police investigate the deaths of three men found in separate incidents over two days.

On Monday at about 7am, mense on their way to work found the body of a 39-year-old man in Old Lansdowne Road, Philippi.

Provincial police spokesperson Sergeant Wesley Twigg said the man had been shot in the chest and was declared dead at the scene.

Twigg said: “The victim had a gunshot wound to his chest and was declared deceased on the scene by medical personnel. The circumstances surrounding the incident are under investigation and arrests are yet to be made.”

About three hours later, another man was found floating face down in a canal in Lily Road, Retreat.

Twigg said the cause of death would be established through a post-mortem.

He added: “Kirstenhof police registered an inquest for investigation after the body of an unidentified male was found in a canal in Lily Road, Retreat, on Monday at about 10.15am. The circumstances surrounding the incident are under investigation…”

The separate discoveries come as a Delft resident, who wishes to remain anonymous, told the Daily Voice that finding bodies in the community had become all too familiar, while fear prevented residents from speaking out.

The resident explained: “In our community, we have also had quite a number of bodies being discovered after the victims were brutally murdered, some were stabbed to death, shot to death or burned to death.

“It is not unusual to wake up in the morning and see a dead body lying on a field or hear of a body lying somewhere.

“The problem is that you have to be so afraid for your safety and can’t really say anything or else you and your family will be targeted.

“You almost have no choice but to turn a blind eye. Even though they say that we can remain anonymous and not say anything, the truth is that there is not much faith in the justice system.

“When we phone our police station, we don’t get through to the number or when we call 10111 we still don’t get through. I cannot risk my life to go to the police station to show my face just to give a statement.”

Meanwhile, police are investigating the death of a 54-year-old man found behind the steering wheel of a Suzuki in Sea Point on Sunday.

Western Cape police spokesperson, Captain FC Van Wyk, said: “Sea Point police registered an inquest following the discovery of the body … on Sunday at about 8am on the corner of Regent Road and St Francis Street Sea Point.

“According to reports, Sea Point police attended to an incident at the mentioned address. Upon arrival at the scene, they were informed of a person who was allegedly sleeping in the driver’s seat. After investigation it was found that the person was deceased inside the vehicle.

“No foul play is suspected. A postmortem will be conducted to determine the cause of death.”

The three deaths, discovered within 48 hours, have once again highlighted the deep sense of fear and helplessness that has taken root in parts of Cape Town. For many residents, the sight of a body on the side of the road or in a canal is no longer a shock, but a grim reality.

In Philippi, the discovery of the 39-year-old man with a gunshot wound to his chest has left locals on edge. The area has seen a string of violent incidents in recent months, with residents saying they often feel trapped between gang violence and a justice system they no longer trust.

The body found in the canal in Retreat has raised similar concerns. While police have opened an inquest and say the cause of death will be determined through a post-mortem, the image of a man floating face down in the water has shaken the community.

In Delft, the anonymous resident’s account paints a picture of a community living in constant fear. The claim that phone calls to the police station and the national emergency number 10111 often go unanswered has added to the sense of frustration.

The resident’s words reflect a wider sentiment in many neighbourhoods across the Cape Flats and beyond. People say they want to help, but they are afraid of being targeted if they speak out. The promise of anonymity is not enough to overcome the fear that grips families who depend on their communities for safety.

The death in Sea Point, while not suspected to be a case of foul play, adds another layer to the story. A 54-year-old man found dead in his car on a Sunday morning is a reminder that death can come in many forms, and not all of them involve violence. But even in cases where foul play is not suspected, the sight of a body in a public space can leave a lasting mark on a neighbourhood.

Police say investigations are ongoing in all three cases. In Philippi, no arrests have been made and the circumstances remain under investigation. In Retreat, an inquest has been registered and a post-mortem will be conducted. In Sea Point, police say no foul play is suspected, but a post-mortem will still be carried out to determine the cause of death.

For now, the families of the three men are left to grieve, while communities continue to live with the fear that the next body could be found on any street, in any canal, or inside any car.

As police work to piece together what happened, the bigger question remains: how many more deaths will it take before residents feel safe enough to speak up, and before the justice system earns back their trust?


Latest Gossip News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Latest Gossip News via email.