Police arrested the wrong people – Senzo Meyiwa's family fumes as murder case takes new twist

0
Loading...

Family of slain Bafana Bafana captain says original investigators have compiled docket that reveals who is behind Meyiwa’s murder and calls for release of accused

Slain Bafana Bafana star Senzo Meyiwa’s brother has revealed that police have told them that the five men due to stand trial for the murder are not the goalkeeper’s killers.

Speaking to the media outside the high court in Johannesburg sitting in the Palm Ridge magistrate’s court yesterday, Sifiso Meyiwa made a startling revelation, saying the family was expecting that the accused would be released from prison because they did not kill the Orlando Pirates goalie.

Loading...

The claim came just as the state and defence in the matter agreed on trial dates which have been set for April 11 to April 29 and to resume again on May 30 to June 17.

The accused – Muzikawulahlelwa Sibiya, Bongani Ntanzi, Mthobisi Mncube, Mthokozisi Maphisa and Sifiso Ntuli – face charges of murder, attempted murder, illegal possession of a firearm and robbery with aggravating circumstances.

“I was expecting the court to release these five suspects because they are not involved. Not even one of them is involved. Police are just lying,” Meyiwa said on the eve of the seventh year anniversary of his brother’s death.

Later in the day, he said: “They know that these are wrong suspects but they are continuing just to protect themselves. We have information that we have been receiving from the police for some time. There are two police officers who worked on the case in 2018 and 2019. Those officers have their own docket. They are just waiting for these [current investigators] to finish with what they are doing.”

Meyiwa claimed that the first investigators allocated the case did their work but when they were ready to take the docket to the National Prosecuting Authority for a decision whether to prosecute or not, a new team was appointed.

He said families of the accused have contacted the Meyiwas alerting them that their loved ones were being beaten up in prison by the police to force them to make a confession to the October 26 2014 murder of his brother.

They are being held at five different correctional facilities in Gauteng, North West and KwaZulu-Natal.

Senzo was shot and killed at the home of his girlfriend singer Kelly Khumalo in Vosloorus, on the East Rand.

Meyiwa’s claims have given credence to last year’s media reports that police were working against each other in a desperate effort to crack the case.

Meyiwa believes that the real killers are still out there.

National police spokesperson Brig Vish Naidoo said Meyiwa must bring proof.

“He must come to court and testify. He must bring evidence. He is shooting from the hip. He is making all these wild allegations and up to now he has not brought a shred of evidence forward. He has not even opened a case.

“The accused have not told the court about the assaults that they are experiencing. Why are the families of the five not going to open cases on behalf of their loved ones?” Naidoo asked.

The accused were arrested in October last year. During the first court appearance, some of the accused refused to get into the dock, saying they had nothing to do with the murder.

Yesterday, prosecutor George Baloyi told the court that they had met with the defence earlier this month to prepare for trial and the dates were confirmed by all the parties.

“We’ve agreed that six weeks before the trial, the state will make available nine witness statements which were withheld for security reason. The state will also undertake to make available a core bundle of all the witness statements to the defence… The contents of the dockets have already been disclosed…

“All the preliminary arrangements have been made. Trial should commence on April 11. All the parties will be ready for trial. Witnesses are from the Vosloorus area,” said Baloyi.

Baloyi told the court that lawyers for accused number 1 and 5 have requested time to consult with their clients, while the rest of the accused have been able to see their lawyers.

He said the matter will be moved to Pretoria in order to have a bigger courtroom.

Last week, Ntuli, a notorious KZN hitman, was convicted on six counts of murder.

Ntuli, who was arrested by the task team investigating political killings in the province, was found guilty of the 2016 murder of ANC councillor Thami Nyembe, who was gunned down in Nongoma.

Ntuli’s case was adjourned until December 9 for sentencing.

The five men sat calmly during proceedings with heavily armed personnel from the police and correctional services present.

Some members of the public were asked to leave as the courtroom became too crowded due to the media and security personnel present.

The suspects were remanded in custody.


Latest Gossip News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Latest Gossip News via email.

Loading...