Woman at centre of dropped sexual assault case against ex-Orlando Pirates coach vows to fight on
The woman who accused former Orlando Pirates coach Milutin “Micho ” Sredojevic of sexual assault after he allegedly exposed himself to her has been left incensed after the charges were dropped.
The victim, who cannot be named as the law prohibits identifying victims of sexual crimes, said she found out this week that her matter was withdrawn in September. The incident allegedly happened at the Protea HotelWanderers in Illovo, Johannesburg, in August last year, where the victim worked as a cleaner.
The disclosure on charges being withdrawn against Micho, who is currently Zambia ’ s national team coach, were made to the victim several days after the 51-year-old mentor appeared in the New Brighton magistrate ’ s court in Port Elizabeth on another charge of sexual assault.
His latest accuser alleged that Sredojevic touched her buttocks while she was serving coffee to him at the Wolfston Stadium during a Cosafa under-20 football tournament in which Zambia took part on December 11. He is expected back in court on February 25.
Phindi Mjonondwane, the NPA spokesperson, confirmed that charges relating to the Protea Hotel Wanderers incident against Sredojevic were withdrawn before the matter was placed on the roll.
“The chief prosecutor perused through the evidence and decided that it was not strong enough to prosecute the accused, ” she said.
Police spokesperson Capt Mavela Masondo said police were not able to obtain a statement from Sredojevic before charges were dropped.
He said Sredojovic was not arrested because hewas out of the country and that the matter would need to have been brought before a magistrate who would in turn authorise an extradition application.
The matter was not brought before a magistrate because it was withdrawn, so we could not extradite him and that is why we could not apprehend him,” he said.
The victim said she would fight tooth and nail to get justice. She expressed frustration and anger at how the case had been handled.
The investigating officer didn ’ t call me to tell me what was happeningwith the case. I spoke to himthisweek andhe said he will talk to me on Thursday (today) because he was not in Joburg,” she said.
I don ’ t understand why the case was withdrawn. I am very angry about it. So I asked for assistance from my counsellor at the Teddy Bear Clinic to help me get the matter on the roll,” the victim said.
She said she had attended counselling and was coming to terms with what happened to her, but seeing the football mentor in the media rubbed salt into her wounds.
“I get very upset because he is continuing with his life like nothing happened.
He has money and people with money know how to make their problems go away. But I feel vindicated because God showed what his character is like,” she said.
Sredojevic did not respond to queries sent to him via WhatsApp. But his agent Ivica Stankovic said they were informed that the matter was withdrawn and that they were relieved.
“Micho was happy and he has left it in the past. There is nothing more to say about it,” Stankovic said.
In a statement made to the police at the time of the alleged incident, the victim accused Sredojević of indecently exposing himself to her.
She told police that the former Buccaneers coach asked her to “give him for two minutes ”.
The woman was apparently in a passage next to the toilets she was cleaning.
She said Sredojević walked past and greeted her before stepping into the men ’ s toilets. She said Sredojevic followed her into the toiletwhere he undressed his trackpants.