Second phase of looting and civil unrest to his South Africa soon: SMS sent out confirms

0
Loading...

ANC deputy secretary-general Jessie Duarte yesterday confirmed the party was aware of messages making the rounds calling for a “second phase” of civil unrest in the country.

“[On Wednesday], another SMS came out [and] we are studying it. We understand that it is a call for a second phase of protest and hopefully the planners can now understand that it cannot continue in the manner that they wish to,” Duarte said.

She was speaking at a virtual media briefing hosted by the ANC to communicate the outcomes of its national working committee (NWC) meeting on Monday.

Loading...

In July, parts of Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) were rocked by violence and rampant looting that claimed the lives of more than 300 people and caused damage running into billions.

Duarte said while the ANC agreed the violence could have been triggered by the jailing of former president Jacob Zuma, there were also people who were trying to use his arrest to sow discord and unrest in the country.

“It is also disingenuous to make the former president a scapegoat and use his name in this manner.”

Zuma is serving a 15-month sentence at the Estcourt Correctional Centre for contempt of court.

Duarte condemned last month’s violence, saying it was a “malicious attempt to undermine our democracy as well as to create a spate of rolling mass action”.

“The plan has been thwarted but it does not mean that the people who are planning are not continuing to plan. They may have soften their approach, but they are certainly not stopping.”

Duarte said the ANC was hoping law enforcement would arrest the instigators and “not just the seven that has thus far appeared in court”.

– Citizen


Latest Gossip News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Latest Gossip News via email.

Loading...