Another taxi boss shot dead hours after Minister Fikile Mbalula announced peace agreement (VIDEO)

0
Loading...

The ink did not even dry on a peace agreement signed by Cata and Codeta when yet another taxi boss was gunned down yesterday.

The man, believed to be a taxi owner, was shot and killed at a rank in Joe Slovo informal settlement in Milnerton at 1pm.

However, the taxi bodies and Transport MEC Daylin Mitchell were quick to point out that the shooting was a “criminal act” and not related to the taxi-violence.

Loading...

Part of the agreement signed by Cata and Codeta on Monday was that should there be any further acts of violence, all affected routes operated by them will be closed and affected operating licences will be suspended.

In addition, both associations will be suspended or de-registered.

The incident happened less than 24 hours after Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula announced that the Cape Amalgamated Taxi Association (Cata) and Congress of Democratic Taxi Alliance (Codeta) have agreed to ending the violence which saw 24 people killed last month.

For three weeks, the associations together with Mitchell, SA National Taxi Council (Santaco) and other stakeholders had been in talks to find an amicable solution to sharing disputed routes and stop the deadly feud.

But when they reached an impasse, Mitchell decided to close the main object of contention, route B97 from Paarl/Mbekweni to Bellville, and several taxi ranks for two months while the associations went into an arbitration process.

In yesterday’s shooting, the victim was sitting inside a white Toyota bakkie at the taxi rank in Freedom Way. He ended up falling out of the vehicle.

A witness says: “I ran to see what was going on and then I saw the elderly man laying on the ground next to his car. At the time he had not been covered yet, blood was coming out of his head. The ambulance and police arrived and covered him with a blanket. I understand that he is a Codeta taxi owner.”

SAPS’ Joseph Swartbooi says: “When the Milnerton Police arrived, they found the body of a 56-year-old man lying on his back with visible gunshot wounds to his face and chest.

“The suspects are yet to be arrested. The motive for the attack is possibly taxi-related.”

MEC Mitchell says: “I was in contact with the leaders of Cata and Codeta this afternoon (Tuesday) and both associations assured me that the killing was not related to the current taxi violence.

“While we are working together to restore peace and calm, we will not compromise on the rule of law. The murderers and criminals must be brought to justice.”

– Daily voice


Latest Gossip News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Latest Gossip News via email.

Loading...