High-ranking members of the ANC's national executive committee, a former mayor in KZN, a Mpumalanga ANC leader and a former radio presenter are among those named as suspected instigators of the violence that swept through KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.
This is according to an unrest report circulating among ANC and government leaders that forms part of the South African Police Service (SAPS)investigation into the looting of malls and burning of factories last week.
The unrest left 200 people dead and the destruction of property running into billions of rand.
According to the report, a plan was hatched on July 4 in KZN to render the country ungovernable as part of a campaign to force the government to release former President Jacob Zuma who is serving 15 months in prison for contempt of court.
A high-ranking ANC leader is said to have given instructions to his supporters to burn all trucks n the N2,N3 and other major roads leading to the Durban and Richard's Bay harbor; to loot all shopping malls and ware houses and to use lethal force when fired upon by the armed forces".
Chief Justice Raymond Zondo was also a target.
The mobs were also instructed to "bring all economic activity in KZN and Gauteng to a stand still and agitate the unemployed. street kids.criminals and thugs" to render the country ungovernable until the leader become president of the country.
The report appears to be under scrutiny.
A female cabinet minister has denounced it as work of information peddlers while her cabinet counterpart said the report was serious enough not to be dismissed.
The future of police minister Bheki Cele, Defense Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula and State security Minister Ayanda Dlodlo and bureacrats in the security establishment hang in balance, with Ramaphosa under pressure from inside the ANC to use a reshuffle to clean up the armed forces.
" Very soon it will become clear. The President must act on some of the ministers in the security cluster," said a source close to Ramaphosa.