The South African National Defence Force has started with pre-deployment processes to have soldiers dispatched to KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng, as violent rioting in protest of former president Jacob Zuma's imprisonment continues.
President Cyril Ramaphosa has been under pressure to deploy troops as the violence escalates
Demonstrations had led to shopping malls and other properties set alight and in some instances destroyed.
The unrest so far had claimed the lives of seven people.
In a statement on Monday, SANDF spokesperson Brigadier-General Mafi Mgobozi said a request for assistance was received from the National Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure (NATJOINTS) to assist law enforcement agencies deployed in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal.
"The duration and number of deploying soldiers will be determined based on the assessment of the situation on the ground by the relevant law enforcement agencies. Furthermore, it must be emphasised that the SANDF's deployment objective is to provide safety and a safe working environment for members of the SAPS and other law enforcement agencies whilst they carry out their constitutionally mandated law and order duties. SANDF deployment-related information updates will follow in due course," Mgobozi said.
SA National Defence Force Media Statement | Monday, 12 July 2021 | The SA National Defence Force to deploy soldiers in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal Provinces to assist Law Enforcement Agencies.#SANDF pic.twitter.com/ExlsUC4Lxk
— SA National Defence Force (@SANDF_ZA) July 12, 2021
On Monday, the violence and looting continued unabated in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.