‘I DON’T know much about life; but what kind of life am I supposed to live now?' These were the words of a distraught Gobandlovu mother (38) who sobbed uncontrollably outside eSikhawini Magistrate's Court on Tuesday as she came face-to-face with the two men who last month allegedly brutally gang-raped her 13-year-old daughter throughout the night.
Speaking to the ZO, the devastated mother could not contain her heartbreak as she described the pain of having to deal with her daughter’s trauma.
"I’m broken! They separated me from my daughter and I’m in so much pain. I can’t sleep or eat. I won’t find peace until the day I die," she cried.
Outside court, the mother was surrounded by a crowd of community members who gathered with placards, demanding the alleged perpetrators be denied bail.
The two men were arrested after the victim identified them as the abusers who reportedly locked her in a rental cottage belonging to a female family friend at eDiphini in eSikhaleni.
The victim had apparently left home in Gobandlovu with two other teenage girls to find weekend work at a nearby flea market where they met the family friend.
"When she didn’t come back home, we were worried and searched for her everywhere. We went to the rental cottages, but our friend denied knowing her whereabouts. The next day we received a call from her, saying the child was at the house," said a close relative.
In a surprising twist, the girl said the family friend and another of her friends had lured her inside the room and allowed the men to rape her, while threatening her with a knife.
After the incident, the young girl suffered mental trauma and physical injuries, including being unable to straighten her legs.
She was rushed to Ngwelezana Tertiary Hospital for medical assistance before being moved to a place of safety.
Outside the court, community members protested for the girl’s justice, saying they wanted the two female alleged accomplices to bring the clothes the girl had worn on the day.
Inside court, the accused did not apply for bail, and will remain behind bars until the case resumes on Thursday, 6 May.
– Zululand Observer