One of the six teenagers accused of killing Thoriso Themane told the Polokwane Magistrate's Court on Wednesday that he was acting in self-defence when he allegedly stabbed a fellow pupil last year, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has confirmed.
The teen – who cannot be named as he is a minor – appeared in court on Wednesday on an attempted murder charge linked to the stabbing.
He is due to appear again on Friday in relation to Themane's murder.
NPA spokesperson Mashudu Malabi-Dzhangi said his case was postponed to April 8 to allow Limpopo’s director of public prosecution to make a decision on whether to prosecute.
The teen was initially charged with assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
"He testified in court that it was self-defence," said Malabi-Dzhangi.
The teen’s attempted murder charge emanates from an incident in December 2018, when he apparently stabbed 19-year-old Vincent Thomas at a party.
In the Themane matter, the same pupil was seen in a video – shared widely after the murder – saying he felt good that he had killed a person. He was wearing his school uniform in the video.
The pupil's dad is a former cop. "Yes, you know my father is untouchable," he boasted in the video, before walking away.
Meanwhile, a seventh suspect implicated in Themane’s murder has denied any involvement in the killing. “The new accused [accused number seven] will join the others [in court] on March 22. He did not acknowledge the responsibility,” said Malabi-Dzhangi.