On the 14th of November, some of the biggest names in South African television came together to celebrate the 2018 Royalty Soapie Awards which took place in Johannesburg
For the first time in the ceremony’s history, the 2018 RSAs took place in a city other than Durban. While this promotes the ongoing Gauteng-bias in the entertainment industry (an argument for another day), it did mean that the awards were well attended and that the event was a star-studded affair.
Many of South Africa’s biggest soapies, including those that air on Free-to-air channels as well as those exclusive to DSTV, went head to head for the biggest prizes. In the end, the evening was dominated by shows that have been on circuit for less than five years, further proving that newer, local content has positively disrupted South African television.
For instance, popular SABC 1 soapie, Skeem Saam walked away with the highly coveted ‘Most Popular Soapie on TV’ award – edging out long-running soapies such as Generations: The Legacy and Isidingo. The fact that this particular award was driven by audience voters was an accurate reflection of viewer sentiment in Mzansi.
One of the soapie’s leading stars, Lesego Marakalla also walked away with a big prize as she was recognised as an ‘Outstanding Villain’ for her role as Rachel on the show.
Isibaya was another big winner on the night, winning four awards from a total of 20 nominations.
M-Net’s Afrikaans soapie, Binnelanders was another big winner on the night, walking away with three awards.
Winnie Ntshaba, the ceremony’s founder, was elated with the night’s proceedings. She praised every winner and nominee while adding:
“I am very pleased with the results and am very happy that most entrants were winners this evening. This would have not been possible without the support of our sponsors who value our creatives in the performing arts”
This year’s Royalty Soapie Awards was a true celebration of one of South Africa’s favourite television genres. Check out all of the big winners from the 2018 RSAs below:
- Outstanding Art Direction: Binnelanders
- Outstanding Directing Team: Isithembiso
- Outstanding Editing Team: Isithembiso
- Outstanding Lighting Team: Isibaya
- Outstanding Make-up & Hair: 7de Laan
- Outstanding Wardrobe: Isidingo
- Outstanding Writing Team: Ring of Lies 2
Supporting Role Categories
- Outstanding Newcomer: Kope Makgae as Mrekza in Generations: The Legacy
- Outstanding Couple: Pallance Dladla and Linda Mtoba as Jabu and Zama in Isibaya
- Outstanding Supporting Actor: Anga Makubalo as Obakeng Zamdela in Isidingo
- Outstanding Supporting Actress: Kisha Skeï as Lexi Abrahams in Binnelanders
Lead Role Categories
- Outstanding Soapie: Isibaya
- Outstanding Female Villain: Lesego Marakalla as Rachel Kunutu in Skeem Saam
- Outstanding Male Villain: Leroy Gopal as Fynn in Binnelanders
- Outstanding Lead Actress: Thembi Nyandeni as Mkabayi in Isibaya
- Outstanding Lead Actor: Motlatsi Mafatshe as Shechaba Moloi in Isidingo
- Most Popular Soapie of the Year: Skeem Saam
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Don Mlangeni-Nawa