Minenhle ‘Minnie’ Dlamini is a South African television presenter best known for hosting inserts on the SABC1 music show LIVE and for co-hosting the SABC1 magazine show Mzansi Insider.
1. She was born on 7 July 1990 in Durban and attended Northlands Girls High School.
2. She rose to publicity in 2010 after she entered a Talent Search for new presenters for LIVE in April 2010 and won the role in June 2010.
3. At the time of winning the search, Minnie was living in Cape Town and studying film and media, drama and economics at University of Cape Town.
4. She took over from roving LIVE presenter Phila Mazibuko and made her first public appearance for the show on Wednesday, 16 June 2010 at Moretele Park in Gauteng, when the show covered Youth Day and World Cup celebrations.
5. She co-hosted Mzansi Insider from 2011 to 2012. She replaced former presenters Hlelo and Ntando Masina when they were dropped from the show after landing their own reality show on e.tv. She resigned from the series to pursue her acting career and presented her final episode on Monday, 20 August 2012.
6. In 2011 she joined the cast of the M-Net soapie The Wild and remained on the show until its end in 2013.
7. In 2013 she joined the cast of the Mzansi Magic drama series Rockville.
8. Minnie once hit a jackpot when she fell in love with then Kaizer Chiefs and Bafana Bafana goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune. On her 21st birthday Khune blessed the television presenter with a metallic-blue BMW M3 he gave her for her 21st birthday in 2011.
9. After being cheated, Minnie dumped Khune upon discovering the footie’s alleged carnal match with Vanessa Masilo.
10. Minnie and Khune have been in an on and off relationship since they were first spotted together about four years ago. They rekindled their romance recently and went public – appearing at award ceremonies together and showing off their affection on social media.
11. She revealed that she was heartbroken after she tried all she could to make the relationship work. “If there is one thing I know I did perfectly in my life…it was my previous relationship. It’s just that sometimes things don’t go according to plan and you know you can’t control someone else’s feelings and that’s really what it boils down to.”
12. In 2012 Dlamini appeared as a guest judge on SABC 1’s Turn It Out and co-presented Miss South Africa.
13. In January this year the proud Zulu grabbed headlines when she literally claimed to be a 24-year-old virgin by celebrating a ceremony called uMhlonyane, which is done for a young virgin girl when she reaches puberty, to teach and advise her about womanhood and what Minnie’s family did was actually supposed to be uMemulo.
14. Cultural experts criticised her for not following the correct procedures. They said UMemulo is a ritual to celebrate womanhood and to proclaim that the young lady has looked after herself well and has not had a child out of wedlock.
15. Zulu culture expert, Mduduzi Khumalo claimed that Minnie was not a virgin and that all her past boyfriends had all failed to impregnate her. He added that for that reason, Minnie was supposed to undergo uMemulo and not uMhlonyane. Minnie could however not prove if she was still a virgin.