Seasoned actor Tumisho Masha breathed a sigh of relief when he was acquitted of assaulting his estranged wife in the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on Thursday.
But the magistrate found the actor guilty of malicious damage to property after he admitted to smashing Zozibini’s phone during an altercation.
During cross-examination, state prosecutor Rulani Mulaudzi had highlighted that the 42-year-old former Scandal! actor had contradicted some of the evidence, contained in his police docket.
Sunday Sun previously reported that the charges were reinstated in October last year and the bitter court battle has played out ever since.
In Tumisho’s defence, lawyer Clement Dankuru punched holes into the state’s case by arguing that witnesses, Nomafu Sibeta and the complainant, didn’t bring credible information to court.
“The witness admitted that she did not see the assault nor did she see the visible injuries on the complainant which were allegedly inflicted by the accused,” said Dankuru during the closing arguments by the State and the Defence.
Tumisho thanked the magistrate for presiding over the case and apologised to his estranged wife and his family.
In her judgment, the Magistrate said in terms of the evidence, the complainant‘s statement and the State’s witness failed to corroborate each other.
“I hope my mistakes could be a lesson for young men to hold themselves to higher standards,” he said.
Zozibini could not be reached for comment this week.