Having a healthy s*x life plays an important part of our wellbeing. Low libido in men is much more common than we are lead to believe. There are many reasons why men can lose their s*x drive and simple factors like tiredness, stress, depression, certain medications (antidepressants and hypertensive drugs), excessive alcohol consumption, illicit drug taking, and low testosterone levels may all play a part. Having a newborn can also put the breaks on your s*x drive for a while due, primarily, to lack of sleep. Did you know that what you eat can also affect your desire for s*x. Here are some foods that will help spice things up in the bedroom. Help you enjoy a better s*x life.
1. Pumpkin and sunflower seeds: Snacking on these nutritious seeds will help boost your zinc levels. Zinc is one of the most important minerals needed to improve sperm health and quantity and boost testosterone levels. Seeds also contain healthy fats that are vital for s*xual health. Add a handful to breakfast cereals, salads or to a trail mix.
2. Maca: This Peruvan superfood is considered ‘nature’s Viagra’ as it is a renowned aphrodisiac, improving s*x drive and s*xual performance. Maca is also rich in B vitamins, to help boost energy levels, and relieve stress. Add a spoonful to smoothies, soups or breakfast cereals.
3. Meat: Beef and pork contains high levels of L-Carnitine, an amino acid that can help boost libido, s*xual function and testosterone levels in older men. L-carnitine also helps improve energy levels by increasing the burning of triglycerides as fuel in the body.
4. Bananas: Bananas are an excellent source of B vitamins, needed to increase energy production and to dampen your stress levels. Bananas also contain tryptophan, an amino acid needed for serotonin production, our ‘feel good’ hormones. Bananas are also packed with potassium, used to produce s*x hormones, and improve heart health and s*x drive. Bananas also contain an enzyme called bromelain, which helps improve blood flow and increase libido.
5. Cacao: Cacao, or raw chocolate, is also a well-known aphrodisiac that is rich in potent antioxidants called phenols, which are good for your heart. Of course, a healthy heart means a healthy s*x drive. Cacao can lower cholesterol levels and blood pressure. When you eat chocolate you actually get an increase in endorphins, the same chemicals you release when you are in love. Cacao also contains phenylethylamine, a chemical that boosts dopamine levels, which increases your feelings of desire. Add a spoonful of cacao to smoothies, or enjoy some good quality dark chocolate.
6. Raw nuts: Snacking on raw nuts can help bring a spark back to your bedroom. Nuts such as almonds, cashews, Brazil and hazelnuts are rich in the amino acids L-Arginine, which boosts the production of nitric acid in the body, this will increase the production of s*x hormones, and promote a firmer erection and better s*xual performance. Nuts are also an excellent source of essential fatty acids, which are healthy fats needed for male s*xual health. Add some mixed crushed nuts to muesli or salads, or add to smoothies.
7. Celery: Including more celery in your diet can also bring a spark back to your s*x life. Eating celery can increase the pheromone androsterone, which is a natural aphrodisiac found in male perspiration. Celery also contains chemicals that can help dilate blood vessels, increase s*x drive, and enhance climax. Try a vegie juice with celery, or snacking on this s*x boosting vegie with hummus or almond butter.
8. Green tea: Drink 1-3 cups per day. From cancer prevention to weight loss to potentially slowing the development of Alzheimer’s, green tea has been shown to help fight almost every major medical ill. Hot or cold, there’s almost nothing better you can drink.
9. Eggs: Eat three to seven eggs per week. An egg a day is okay. Here’s why – Eggs contain a heavy-hitting four grams of pure muscle-building amino acids inside every shell, in addition to boasting some of the highest naturally available doses around of a vitamin called choline, which is thought to help enhance memory. They’re the gold standard in terms of providing all the right nutrients for muscle growth.
10. Milk: Get three servings of dairy per day. You know milk does a body good, but you may not know that skipping dairy makes your body angry, sort of. When you’re not getting enough, your body releases hormones that cause your cells to retain calcium-and fat, says Michael Zemel, Ph.D., director of The Nutrition Institute at the University of Tennessee. Calories still count, so you should drink your milk by the glass rather than the gallon. But just make sure you get some.
11. Water: Drink eight 8-oz glasses per day. You know you need to be drinking more water, and for good reason. Water flushes toxins from your system, regulates body temp, acts as an insulator for joints, prevents kidney stones, and supplies the body with a raft of crucial minerals. Without water, none of the other super-foods would matter.
Although water helps in every way, it may be at its most powerful when it comes to weight loss. Drinking a glass or two of water a half hour or so before mealtime, for example, can help take the edge off your hunger.