Followers of prophet Shepherd Bushiri have vowed to continue attending his services at the Tshwane Events Centre despite the torching of his tents last week.
They continued to flock to his Enlightened Christian Gathering church, saying they would not be stopped by naysayers and haters.
The services on Saturday evening and on Sunday were well attended, with some cramming into available space while others watched on the screens from the grounds outside the venue.
Bushiri’s spokesperson Ephraim Nyondo said the church had not been affected very badly by the burning of the overflow tents. He said they would be adding more security.
“Obviously there is a bad feeling among our members, and they are extremely saddened and disappointed by such attacks on church structures.
“Extra security is highly considered and we shall ensure guards remain in patrol throughout day and night.”
He said they had no idea as to who committed the act and would leave everything in the hands of the police.
He added that it was safe to say church members might be affected psychologically, and as a result there were mechanisms in place to curb such incidents from happening again.
Two tents were burnt down at about 9pm last Wednesday.
Sunday World reported earlier this month that Bushiri had survived two attempts on his life. The church stated that they believe that these incidents could be related.
“We are, hereby, calling on the police and all investigating agencies to help us get to the bottom of this unfortunate incident so that justice is not just done, but also seen to be done.”
Nyondo said it happened days after the prophet survived an assassination attempt. This, he said, was an indication the church was under attack.
Bushiri revealed through social media that the church would continue in prayer, asking God to keep protecting them and shame and expose those who wanted to destroy the church.
The church has since launched its Enough is Enough campaign to fight the attacks and ward off evil.
Police spokesperson Captain Kay Makhubela said they were investigating a case of malicious damage to property. No arrests had been made, he said.
Celeb gossip news has previously reported that Bushiri and his wife Mary will be facing charges on money laundering, fraud and contravention of the Prevention of the Organised Crime Act. Their case will be heard in the Pretoria specialised commercial crimes court in July.
Bushiri was in the eye of a storm following adultery allegations. Zimbabwe former deputy Minister of Finance and Economic Development, Terrence Mukupe accused Bushiri of having an adulterous affair with his wife. According to Mukupe, the “Man of God” not only had an adulterous affair with his wife, but he is the one responsible for his wife’s pregnancy.
Major1, as Bushiri is affectionately known by his followers, furiously denied the salacious allegations and warned Mukupe that he should fear God.
Mukupe made the sensational claim in Facebook posts Wednesday before he went on to post screenshots of what he claimed to be chats between his celebrity wife and the prophet.
Rachel J is known for her provocative lyrics and videos in her music.
She recently did a song titled Ngoro featuring Enzo Ishall which was banned by the censorship board of Zimbabwe.
Mukupe wrote, “Prophet Shepherd Bushiri, so you have decided to go public on this… no problem… if that’s not you in that pic be my guest… I’m coming after you… if that’s not your mobile you were using for WhatsApp be my guest… you can’t be taking advantage of people like that… I want the R100k that we seeded to your fake church back… false prophet!!! As you said your lawyers are ready to sue please deliver the summons I’m waiting… I want you Bushiri to deny that you met her three times Lilongwe, Pretoria and you Rustenberg place with my blessing, me buying the plane tickets and you offering to go into business with us with Hon Chihana from Malawi in tow… deny it and we will see who serves a true God!!!, “ among other things.
Pretoria News / Celeb Gossip