Minister of Police Bheki Cele has responded to reports claiming he admitted to not knowing where the Senzi Meyiwa docket is.
He slammed the reports as “false, reckless and hurtful” to the Meyiwa family and South Africans.
“In an interview on 06 November 2019 with various media houses in Durban, the Minister was questioned about the whereabouts of the case docket in the Senzo Meyiwa murder case.
“Cele responded by saying ‘I believe the docket is supposed to be with the prosecution, but I will have to confirm that’. The General further went on to say ‘I know and I’m satisfied that the police have done a good job’.
“While many of the media houses present during the exchange reported on the facts, it is unfortunate that some chose to deviate from the truth and create unnecessary panic by reporting on incorrect information,” said Cele in a statement.
He further clarified that the case docket into Meyiwa’s murder was not missing.
“It is currently with the South African Police Service.”
The Bafana Bafana goalkeeper was killed during a robbery five years ago at his girlfriend Kelly Khumalo’s home. Five others were present at the time.
On Tuesday, it was announced that the head of AfriForum’s private prosecution unit, advocate Gerrie Nel, would be representing the Meyiwa family in an investigation into his death.
Feeling that no progress was being made by the NPA after the police investigated the case, Meyiwa’s family turned to the lobby group last month to take the prosecution forward.
“It is important that AfriForum gets involved in cases such as these – it’s in the interest of the whole country,” CEO Kallie Kriel said.
“AfriForum serves as a counterweight to the failure of the state and, as a civil rights watchdog, it is our duty to prevent the criminal justice system from collapsing,” he added.
Over the weekend, City Press reported that the police now believe one of the people present in the house where Senzo was gunned down, is the culprit and that everyone present lied to police about who really killed the former Orlando Pirates goal keeper.
In a lengthy audio recording, obtained by City Press, a senior executive in the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) tells a member of Meyiwa’s family that the police will again question those who were in the house at the time of Meyiwa’s murder.
The executive is heard saying that the people who were in the house when Meyiwa was gunned down lied when they made their original statements to the police in saying that a robbery had taken place.
“The crucial evidence was lost ages ago and all the witnesses who were in the house at the time of the shooting lied when they said there was an armed robbery when Senzo was fatally shot,” says the NPA executive in the recording.
Many South Africans also do not believe Senzo was killed by robbers. Music producer Chicco Twala made headlines earlier last year when a Twitter user claimed his son Longwe – who was dating Kelly’s sister Zandi at the time – used his gun to shoot the footballer after an altercation.
Chicco denied his gun was used, adding that he does not believe his son pulled the trigger.
But Chicco says the six people who were in the house at the time of the shooting know what really happened.
“Someone has pulled a trigger. Someone killed Senzo on that night. These six people knew who did it. Why are they quiet? I am not buying the story about the robbery, personally. Someone knows who killed Senzo, including my son, they must be arrested if needs be,” he told Power FM in an interview.
Zandi and Kelly, who were both present at the time of the shooting, have vehemently died any involvement.
“People will think whatever they want to think. We know what happened and the police know what happened. And if people have any doubts, they will have to sort that out with the police. The police would have arrested us on the day of the incident if we were suspects,” Zandi told Move magazine in May last year.
As Senzo Meyiwa’s case hots up, this means Kelly Khumalo, her little sister Zandi Khumalo and her ex-boyfriend Longwe Twala, who is music producer Chicco Twala are all in hot soup as, under normal circumstances they should either have been arrested or separately interrogated so as to ascertain what really happened.
There is a general consensus that amongst the three of them, at least one or all of them really know who killed Senzo, if not one of them is actually the murderer.
Speaking to Power FM early last year, Chicco also said he is doubtful that a robbery took place on the day Senzo died. He added that all those who were present in the house, including his son Longwe, should come forward to reveal what really happened.
“Someone has pulled a trigger. Someone killed Senzo on that night. These six people knew who did it. Why are they quiet? I am not buying the story about the robbery, personally. Someone knows who killed Senzo, including my son, they must be arrested if needs be,” he is quoted as saying.
Senzo Meyiwa’s brother, Sifiso Meyiwa, told City Press that those who were in Khumalo’s house at the time of Meyiwa’s murder would remain suspects until proven otherwise in court.
“We are aware that the police concluded their investigation in February, as per the monthly updates they provide,” he said.
“All we are looking forward to is seeing the police arrest all those who lied in their statements and those who have defeated the ends of justice.”